2017 All-Area Girls' Basketball Team

2017 All-Area Girls' Basketball Team

Meet the 2017 All-Area Girls' Basketball Team

Capria Brown
5-8, G, Fr.,
Schlarman

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

Playing off the ball for most of the season, the natural point guard put up 13.5 points per game, 6.0 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 3.9 assists. Brown has several Division I universities intrigued, and she’s also a college prospect in track.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Big Sean ... Movie I have to see is “Finding Dory” ... In my dream career, I would play in the WNBA ... My favorite subject to study in school is math ... My favorite athlete is LeBron James ... My favorite TV show is “SpongeBob SquarePants” ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Barack Obama, LeBron James and Mr. McGuire.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Go to Italy, ride in a limo and have a family.

Mikala Hall
5-5, G, Jr.,
Danville

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

Hall became just the fourth Viking to surpass the 1,000-point mark, and she still has one year to go. She scored double digits in all 26 games she played on her way to 19.0 points per game while putting up 5.0 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 2.2 steals.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Tori Kelly ... Movie I have to see is “Madea” (Tyler Perry movies) ... Before I compete, I eat peanut butter and honey sandwich and a cutie (orange) ... In my dream career, I would be sports medicine doctor/WNBA player ... My favorite subjects to study in school are chemistry (science) and math ... My favorite athletes are Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, Maya Moore and Skylar Diggins ... My favorite TV show is “Teen Titans Go!” ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr. and Barack Obama.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Travel the world, win a championship and go to the WNBA.

Emma Henderson
5-7,G/F, Sr.,
Tuscola

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

The Warriors were a reshaped team after losing three key seniors, but Henderson was up to the challenge of leading a young team. She averaged 15.9 points, 4.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 4.5 steals and shot 45 percent from behind the three-point arc while making 48.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Rihanna ... Movie I have to see is “Everything, Everything” ... Before I compete, I eat Jimmy John’s ... In my dream career, I would be a physical therapist ... My favorite subject to study in school is physics ... My favorite athlete is Michael Jordan ... My favorite TV show is “SpongeBob SquarePants” ... My first job was babysitting ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose God, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Have a pet monkey, learn how to dance (and be good at it) and give a Ted Talk.

Tatum McCall
5-7, G, Jr.,
Monticello

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

After transferring to her hometown school from St. Thomas More, McCall averaged 10.9 points and 2.8 steals to help lead the Sages over the Class 2A sectional semifinal hurdle that felled them each of the previous three seasons.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Bruno Mars ... Movie I have to see is “Pitch Perfect 3” ... Before I compete, I eat Brookside blueberries ... In my dream career, I would be a traveling nurse ... My favorite subject to study in school is English ... My favorite athlete is Steph Curry ... My favorite TV shows are “The Voice,” and “America’s Got Talent” ... My first job was babysitting ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Khloe Kardashian, Michael Jordan and Kevin Hart.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Travel the world, do a color run with Zanna Myers and go dog sledding.

Zanna Myers
5-9, G, Jr.,
Monticello

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

Myers was a menace on the defensive end of the court, averaging 4.2 steals per game to lead the way for the best defensive team in the area. She also averaged 11.3 points on 50.3 percent shooting, 5.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists for a team that made a run to the Class 2A sectional finals.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Rihanna ... Before I compete, I eat chocolate ice cream ... In my dream career, I would be a labor and delivery nurse ... My favorite subject to study in school is math ... My favorite athlete is Steph Curry ... My favorite TV show is “Chicago Fire” ... My first job was working with children in a school ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Michael Jordan, Kevin Hart and Taylor Swift.

ON MY BUCKET LIST

Bungee jumping, run in a color run with Tatum McCall and drive along Route 66.

Anaya Peoples
5-10, G, So.,
Schlarman

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

The consensus top-20 recruit in the Class of 2019 did everything for her team, averaging 15.6 points, 5.6 rebounds, 4.7 steals, 4.1 assists and 1.3 blocks per game on her way to Player of the Year honors. Most of the nation’s top college programs are on the Schlarman point guard’s trail.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Beyonce ... Movie I have to see is “Kong” ... Before I compete, I eat ice ... In my dream career, I would be a pediatrician ... My favorite subject to study in school is world history ... My favorite athletes are Kobe Bryant and Usain Bolt ... My favorite TV show is “Flash” ... My first job was at my grandparents’ jewelry store ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Grandma Peoples (who passed away), James Naismith and Future Anaya.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Spend the day with young children in a hospital, open up my own basketball training camp and race Usain Bolt.

Grace Schroeder
5-9, G/F, Sr.,
Iroquois West

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

With plenty of talent graduated from Iroquois West’s strong run over the last few years, Schroeder received much of the focus of opposing defenses but averaged 20.1 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.7 steals and 2.9 steals per game. One of the top seniors in the area will head to Lincoln College, where she’ll play basketball and softball.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Garth Brooks ... Movie I have to see is “Before I Fall” ... Before I compete, I eat McDonald’s and drink a Mountain Dew ... My dream career is athletic training ... My favorite subject to study in school is psychology ... My favorite athletes are Corey Schunke, Emery Podowicz and Meara Tilstra ... My favorite TV show is “Law and Order: SVU” ... My first job was team corn detassling ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Abraham Lincoln, Beyonce and Brantley Gilbert.

ON MY BUCKET LIST

Go to Florida, graduate college and swim with dolphins.

Shayne Smith
5-6, G, Sr.,
Tri-County

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

Smith put up 18.3 points and 2.5 assists per game, but her most eye-popping number came on the defensive end, where she averaged 5.6 steals per game. After leading her team to the Class 1A sectional finals, Smith will play basketball for Monmouth next year.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need tickets to see the Warriors (I’m not really into concerts) ... Movie I have to see is “The Shack” ... Before I compete, I eat chicken patties and french fries ... In my dream career, I would be a physical therapist or a radiologist ... My favorite subject to study in school is science ... My favorite athletes are Stephen Curry and Draymond Green ... My favorite TV show is “One Tree Hill” ... My first job was babysitting ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Michael Phelps, Anne Frank and Melissa McCarthy.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Sit courtside at any basketball game (NBA or college), go skydiving and go to Hawaii.

Chanice Willis
5-9, G, Fr.,
Champaign Central

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

The Maroons burst onto the scene the second half of the season, and their star freshman was a huge reason why. She averaged 16.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 4.4 assists. And plenty more is still to come from the ultra-athletic freshman.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Beyonce ... Movie I have to see is “Kong” ... Before I compete, I eat granola bars, bananas and Jimmy John’s ... my dream career is to play in the WNBA,, pro ball overseas and the Olympics ... My favorite subject to study in school is science ... My favorite athletes are Derrick Rose and John Wall ... My favorite TV shows are “SpongeBob SquarePants,” “AHS” and “Being Mary Jane” ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Martin Luther King Jr., Michael Jackson and Muhammad Ali.

ON MY BUCKET LIST

Bungee jump, visit the great pyramids and put my mom in a place where she won’t have to work.

Katelyn Young
6-1, F, Fr.,
Oakwood

WHY SHE MADE THE TEAM

Young dominated opponents inside, scoring 17.2 points per game on 58 percent shooting on two-point field goals, and averaging 9.1 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game. The freshman wasn’t just an inside player though, averaging 2.4 steals per game, and that’s what has Purdue, Xavier and Illinois State interested.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITES

Need concert tickets to see Beyonce ... Movie I have to see is “Pitch Perfect 3” ... Before I compete, I eat any kind of pasta ... My dream career would be working for a college basketball team ... My favorite subject to study in school is math ... My favorite athlete is Skylar Diggins ... My favorite TV show is “Chicago Fire” ... My first job was babysitting ... If I could have dinner with three people from any time period, I would choose Adam Sandler, Katy Perry and Jennifer Lawrence.

ON MY BUCKET LIST
Go skydiving, go whitewater rafting and ski the Alps.

All-Area Second team

Player    HT.    POS.    YR.    SCHOOL
Faith Ayodele    6-3    C    Sr.    Centennial
Megan Burton    5-6    G    Sr.    Danvile
Summer Cramer    5-5    G    Jr.    Watseka
Lauryn Cross    5-7    G    Jr.    Urbana
Peyton Crowe    5-9    F    So.    St. Joseph-Ogden
Fess Hawkins    6-2    F    Jr.    Champaign Central
Nakaya Hughes    6-0    F    So.    St. Thomas More
Annie Nelson    5-6    G    So.    Bismarck-Henning
Hannah Wallen    5-6    G    Jr.    ALAH  
Gabby Wessels    5-7    G    Jr.    Cissna Park

All-Area Special mention

Player    HT.    POS.    YR.    SCHOOL
Kennedy Bauer    5-11    F    So.    Watseka
Regan Bollant    5-8    F    So.    Judah Christian
Kodey Bush    5-9    G    Sr.    Chrisman
Alana Campbell    5-9    F    Sr.    Villa Grove/Heritage
Emily Duis    5-10    G    Jr.    Milford
Harlie Duncan    5-9    F    Sr.    Unity
Hannah Eddy    6-1    C    Sr.    Chrisman
Tiffanie Elliott    5-9    G    Jr.    Westville
Breezy Espinoza    5-1    G    Sr.    Rantoul
Amanda Franklin    5-10    G    So.    Arthur Okaw Christian
Sydney Gouard    5-9    F    So.    Schlarman
Josie Grammer    5-8    G    Sr.    Blue Ridge
Holley Hambleton    5-6    G    Sr.    Armstrong-Potomac
Liberty Jamison    5-6    G    Jr.    Paxton-Buckley-Loda
Madison Kirby    5-4    G    So.    Salt Fork
Eliza Kramer    5-6    G    Sr.    St. Thomas More
Elyce Knudsen    5-7    G    Fr.    Unity
Erin Lenschow    5-8    G    Jr.    Mahomet-Seymour
Rachael Lockmiller    5-11    F    Sr.    Monticello
Marissa McPike    5-9    F    Sr.    Monticello
Emily Meidel    5-11    G    Fr.    Bismarck-Henning
Mycaela Miller    5-3    G    Sr.    ALAH
Kylie Neuman    5-8    G    So.    Oakwood
Kiersten Price-Wilson    5-10    C    So.    Tri-County
Shoentera Russell    5-10    F    Jr.    Centennial
Cassie Russo    5-9    F/C    Jr.    Tuscola
Jasmine Stock     5-6     G/F    Jr.    Cissna Park
Meara Tilstra    6-0    F    Jr.    Iroquois West
Bree Trimble    5-7    F    So.    St. Joseph-Ogden
Grace Ward    5-3    G    Fr.    Ridgeview

All-Area Honorable mention

ARCOLA — Sophie Fishel, G. Sr.; Morgan Hobgood, F., Sr.
ARGENTA-OREANA — Maggie Millington, 5-9, F., Jr.; Camilyn Newbanks, 5-10, G, So.
ARMSTRONG-POTOMAC — Madi Gayheart, 5-6, G, Jr.;  Angela Sieberns, 6-0, C, Sr.
ARTHUR-LOVINGTON-ATWOOD-HAMMOND — Payton Wellbaum, 5-6, F, Sr.
ARTHUR OKAW CHRISTIAN — Alexa Franklin, 5-9, G, Fr.; Jessica Franklin, 5-9, G, Jr.; Lily Messmore, 5-10, F, Jr.
BISMARCK-HENNING — Sierra Bryant, 5-10, F, Fr.
BLUE RIDGE — Alex Specht 6-3, F, Sr.
CENTENNIAL — Christen Hutchison, 5-6, F, Sr.
CERRO GORDO/BEMENT — Hannah Foran, 5-6, G, Jr.
CHAMPAIGN CENTRAL — Kayla Wilson, 5-7, G, So.
CHRISMAN — Karrington Krabel, 5-7, G, Fr.
CISSNA PARK — Michelle Fehr, 5-6, F, Sr.
CLINTON — Madison Filkin, 5-8, G, Jr.; Alyssa Saulsbery, 6-0, C, Jr.
DANVILLE — Jillean Cooper-Watson, 5-7, F, Sr.
FISHER — Brittney Enos, 5-11, F, Sr.
GEORGETOWN-RIDGE FARM — Cheyanne Hasselbring, 5-5, G, Fr.
GIBSON CITY-MELVIN-SIBLEY — Makenzi Bielfeldt, 5-9, F, So.; Megan Moody, 5-4, G, So.
HOOPESTON AREA — Olivia Huls, 5-8, G, Sr.; Ariel Reeves, 5-7, G, Jr.
IROQUOIS WEST — Maya Sanchez, 5-4, G, Jr.
JUDAH CHRISTIAN — Michelle Miller, 5-7, F, So.
LeROY — Skielyr Trenkle, 5-6, G, Sr.
MAHOMET-SEYMOUR — Cassidi Collins, 5-8, G, Jr.; Jordan Hackmann, 5-5, G, Sr.
MILFORD — Alaina Portwood 5-9, F, So.
MONTICELLO – Emma Reeder, 5-8, F, Sr.
OAKWOOD — Rylee Dowers, 5-7, G, Fr.
PAXTON-BUCKLEY-LODA — Ariana Gentzler, 5-11, F, Jr.
PRAIRIE CENTRAL — Allison Cagley, 5-8, G/F, Sr.; Hannah Conlisk, 5-10, F, Sr.
RANTOUL — Akalah Spinks, 5-5, F, Sr.; Kanosha Williams, 5-7, G/F, Sr.
RIDGEVIEW — Ali Coley, 5-10, F, Sr.; Stacia Landry, 5-3, G, Jr.; Jordyn Talley, 5-7, G, Sr.
SALT FORK — Kayleigh Davis, Fr.; Jordan Jones, So.
SCHLARMAN — CeCe Damilano, 5-7, G, Fr.
ST. JOSEPH-OGDEN — Bailey Dowling, 5-3, G, Fr.; Maclayne Taylor, 5-7, G, So.
ST. THOMAS MORE — Andie Bolton, 5-6, G, Sr.
SULLIVAN — Tatum Ellis, 5-7, F, Sr.; Esther Miller, 5-8, F, So.
TRI-COUNTY — Harley Barry 5-6, G, So.
TUSCOLA — Natalie Bates, 5-4, G, So.; Alexis Koester, 5-3, G, Jr.; Lexie Russo, 5-8, So.
UNITY — Jordy Curtis, 5-4, G, So.; Katie Kaiser, 6-0, F, So.; Abby Maxwell, 5-9, G/F, Sr.; Hannah Rutledge, 5-6, G, Jr.
UNI HIGH — Callie Bruce, 5-10, F, Sr.; Aja Trask, 5-4, G, Sr.
URBANA — Alarea Jackson, 5-7, G, Fr.
VILLA GROVE/HERITAGE — Kyrsten Cox, 5-11, F, Sr.; Aliya Holloman, 5-8, G, Fr.
WATSEKA — Magan Harris 5-7, G, So.
WESTVILLE — Emily Jordan, 5-2, G, So.

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments