Dismemberment 'ringleader' gets 15 years in prison (w/video)

More

Dismemberment 'ringleader' gets 15 years in prison (w/video)

URBANA — Davion Hedrick trembled Tuesday through most of his hour-long sentencing hearing for taking part in the dismemberment of a friend’s body.

Seconds after receiving a 15-year sentence to prison for what the judge called a “barbaric” act, Hedrick looked back at his family, walked through the door to a holding cell and wailed.

His mother also sobbed, as did victim Ashley Gibson’s mother. Other of her family members sat stone-faced, numb with grief.

Hedrick, 27, described by Assistant State’s Attorney Troy Lozar as the “ringleader” of six men who cut up and disposed of the body of Miss Gibson after she died of a drug overdose, wanted her family to know he was sorry.

“My actions. I can’t take them back but I can say I’m sorry,” Hedrick said as he faced Ranae Gibson, the mother of the woman whose body he pleaded guilty to dismembering last April 18.

“I came home to this and I didn’t know what to do,” he said. “My daughter was on her way home from getting off the bus and I panicked.”

Hedrick, who lived in the 1500 block of Hedge Road, told the judge he had a previous drug conviction, was on parole, and felt that if he called police, they would assume he had caused her death, which he had not.

Instead, he called five men and two women who had been at his house partying the day before to come back. There, the men devised and carried out a plan to cut up her body.

Hedrick admitted that he took a leading role in that process, including putting the parts in garbage bags and tossing the bags in Clinton Lake in DeWitt County.

But it was Hedrick’s statements to police, his attorney argued, that also solved the case, leading to the arrest of the other five men.

Four others have already been sentenced to seven years in prison; a fifth has not had his case resolved.

“I’m not saying my part was minimum or maximum. Everyone there had equal opportunity to do the same thing I’m accused of doing. Although I did do gruesome things, my biggest mistake was not calling the police. I was afraid of the outcome. I wish I could go back,” said Hedrick, the father of two children.

Ranae Gibson also referred to her daughter’s two sons, who she said miss their mother, as does her entire family.

“Ashley was my daughter, my everything, and they just threw her away like she was trash. And she was there because she trusted these guys. You wouldn’t treat a dog this way. I would have come and got her,” she said.

“We don’t understand. They could have just put her on a curb. It didn’t have to happen like this,” said Gibson.

Lozar asked for a sentence close to the maximum of 30 years in prison for the Class X offense of dismemberment of a human body while defense attorney Dan Jackson of Champaign sought a sentence closer to the minimum six years.

“He did more than just plead guilty. He solved this matter,” Jackson said of Hedrick’s cooperation with police, which included naming names and showing them the spot where he tossed the remains.

“If he had not cooperated, that would have been even more tragic. His remorse is profound,” Jackson said.

Lozar agreed that Hedrick was helpful to police — after initially denying involvement — but said it was his “selfishness” that led to the awful decision to dispose of her remains in the way the men did.

He also noted that Hedrick had prior felony convictions for resisting arrest, unlawful possession of a weapon and unlawful delivery of a controlled substance.

Judge Tom Difanis said he had to consider deterrence as he fashioned a sentence, conceding “this is an offense the court rarely sees.”

“He has shown remorse but what he did and what the others did is deprive this family of proper closure,” the judge said. “This is a tragedy for Miss Gibson’s family and for Mr. Hedrick’s family.”

Hedrick was given credit on his sentence for 301 days already served. With good behavior, he can earn day-for-day good time, meaning he could be out in less than seven years.

More

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

rsp wrote on February 14, 2017 at 4:02 pm

“I came home to this and I didn’t know what to do,” he said. “My daughter was on her way home from getting off the bus and I panicked.”

He needs to be honest with himself. This took time. He called people to come to his house to do this. This took planning. When he was getting high the night before was he thinking about his daughter? No. He was thinking about himself. He is the one who put his daughter in this position.

He could have picked her up at the bus stop. Left the house altogether. Had someone call the police about an overdose. He could have walked away. He needs to be honest with himself.

Pointblank wrote on February 14, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Profile Picture

Based on the News-Gazette's crime coverage, I have learned that black people, particularly black men under 25, are nothing but criminals who commit crimes all the time. From reading the News-Gazette, I realize if the cops want to racially profile blacks while they drive, then it's good strategy because blacks probably have guns and drugs on them. If the school districts want to segregate black youth into a separate building, it would keep the rest of the kids safe from blacks who are wild and do not want to learn. From reading the News-Gazette, I have learned to stay away from areas of town that are largely populated by blacks because it is a high crime place. There is no reason to build businesses or housing in that area; and that property values in that area should be devalued since wherever blacks live, crime is rampant. If the police and prosecutors want to throw mostly blacks into prison, it probably would keep the rest of us safe. The News-Gazette and law enforcement have taught me well that blacks in Champaign County are an inferior race of criminals. I know because I read all about it every day.

Whiskeydriver wrote on February 14, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Oh look. Another cut and paste of your race baiting ideology.  What's this, the third time you have spewed the same lines?  Oh look the N-G is only reporting black crime.  Your same old song and dance is old--just like the violent crime the N-G is reporting.  You can say all you want about a desired effect of the news.  At the end of the day if these thugs wouldn't commit the crime they wouldn't be in the paper. 

trysomethingnew wrote on February 14, 2017 at 10:02 pm

The fact that there is still a stigma that keeps people from reporting drug overdose to police and medics is wrong. No one should be afraid to get help for someone experiencing an overdose for fear of arrest. It's all just wrong. I know everyone is mad at these young men. But what about those women who are still here? They live and work here. They are mothers. They have friends. It's take a special kind of person to watch your friend whom you was just partying with less than 12 hours ago, being chopped up and get up and go on with their life. Go to work. Went to a movie. After you let someone chop up your friend. Y'all know who you are. Your family and friends know who you are. Shame shame shame.